Sunday 27 July 2008

Funny Face



The funny thing about Funny Face (1957) is, it is not a great film. It isn't actually even a good film but, and it is a big but - it has a certain style. The unlikely pairing of Audrey Hepburn with lead man Fred Astaire as love interest looks somewhat farcical these days. The music and storyline are fairly weak but it has a certain charm.


The director Stanley Donan was the lead director at the time on musicals due to his production of Singing in the Rain (1952) and the choice of Astaire would have been for the dancing.

Odd casting, silly storyline aside what does Funny Face offer. Firstly Kay Thompson is fantastic as a fashion editor, although again her talent is somewhat dampened by farcical scenes. Fred Astaire can obviously dance and Audrey Hepburn looks stunning.

The real gem of the film comes from the input of fashion photographers Richard Avedon and Bill Avery. Avedon's stills were used in the film and he designed the opening credits.


Hepburn is stunning with her modelling and dancing. Her acting ain't bad but although I loved the clothes, the context of the film and the idea - as a musical it is light and frothy, somewhat disjointed.

Leaving the music, script and settings aside it does contain spectacular fashion stills and great costumes. I also loved Hepburn's bohemian dance in the Left Bank setting of Paris. I adopted her look in that scene as my de rigeur style at university! It was a while ago...


Worth a watch but don't expect to be gripped.

13 comments:

Sharon S said...

I've heard of this film, but not watched it-thanks for bringing it to my attention!!

Disneyrollergirl.net said...

I really need to watch more Audrey movies. The only one I've seen is My Fair Lady. Shame!

lara said...

I love movies with Audres! She gives every movie something special and classy

Elizabeth said...

Good film or not, I'll always have a soft spot for it, because it's got Fred, Audrey, and great costumes. I love it anyway. Maybe that makes me naff, but tough darts.

Make Do Style said...

Ah Enc - it is a delightful film and great entertainment. I'm just a harsh old critic!

Unknown said...

I completely agree with you 100% on this!

..... said...

i love that movie too

Kira Aderne said...

really fantastic!!!

a kiss!!

Madame said...

Ok, so this is so wierd that you picked Funny Face. I studied fine art and my degree show piece was based on this movie!!!! You remember the dance routine with Kay Thompson and Audrey singing "on how to be lovely"? They grab tablecloths to fashion makeshift skirts and headscarves and do this ridiculous dance in which the older woman teaches Audrey lovliness.....well I put MYSELF in the scene using bluescreen and have "Six chances to be Lovely"...and obviously I don't stand a chance...I was my attempt at a feminist statement, my many tries get more and more ridiculous...god, sounds better than the reality which is a really embarassing student bit of rubbish!!!! Anyhoo.....had to share.....btw, I'm going to link both your blogs, love 'em!!!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about this film! I got for my birthday a set of six DVDs staring Audrey (as a big Audrey Hepburn fan I am), and I'd heard so much about Funny Face I decided to watch the other day. But I didn't like it that much... not as much as I liked Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Roman Holiday or Peace and War.
I like your blog ^^

Anonymous said...

thanks for your nice review ))) I will watch it )

Anonymous said...

Good post.

Ondo Lady said...

I love Audrey Hepburn, she had amazing style and a lot of her filns were really romantic.